Setting the standards in farm buildings

13 Jan , 2016  

Tommy Guing Construction Ltd’s prominence in the agricultural building sector has been gained through trust, service and a quality of workmanship which is the envy of its competitors. Their team of experts guarantee the skills required to deliver high quality buildings, on time and on budget.

Tommy Guing Construction Ltd is a construction company that specialises in the construction of agricultural buildings.

A family run business with over 35 years experience in farm construction, they are based in Co. Kildare and cover all of Leinster.

They specialise in all concrete forwork and laying of concrete floors and yards. Whether it be slatted tanks, silage pits, grain stores or cattle sheds, they provide a full service from start to finish.

Established by Tommy Guing back in 1980, the Kildare-based company has developed into one of the province’s most respected design and build companies. Today, Tommy’s sons, Tom junior and Alan, have taken over at the controls and they pride themselves on delivering a cost-effective product to a high standard.

“95% of our work is for farmers and the other 5% is focused around the industrial sector,” explained Alan who joined the family business in 1998.

“Our main emphasis is on farm work. In the last few years we have witnessed a boom in the building end of the dairy sector and we have completed quite a number of milking parlours, silage pits and cubicle houses for our customers.

“We treat every job as if it’s our own and every job, no matter how big or small, gets the same attention. We cover all of Leinster and a high percentage of our work is for repeat customers. Word of mouth recommendations is the best form of advertising and we’ve been fortunate that our high standard of work has resulted in additional work.”

The following is a list of the construction services they provide and their most common types of work: slatted tanks, silage pits, milking parlours, cubicle beds, feed troughs, beef units, grain and meal stores, concrete yards, demolition and renovation of old buildings, all concrete formwork, cattle crushes and holding areas, rotary parlours and robotic parlours.

They also provide a service of structural steel buildings, whether you require a new project or just renovation of old buildings. Their rates are highly competitive while their standard of work remains extremely high.

In terms of Tommy Guing Construction’s portfolio of completed projects, pride of place goes to a 40 rotary unit parlour in Ballindrum Dairy Farm which is situated near Athy, Co. Kildare.

“It’s the biggest project we’ve done to date,” revealed Alan, “and Dairymaster use it as a showpiece for all their parlours. They’ve had clients come from as far away as France and China to view it and it’s a job that we’re very proud of. It’s an example of how a milking parlour should be done and the standard speaks for itself.”

A skilled workforce of four long-serving employees plus sub-contractors helps Tommy Guing Construction maintain its high standards. Plus, Alan and Tom junior are what you would describe as hands-on directors and their attention to detail is second to none.

No stone is left unturned to ensure every project, no matter how big or small, gets just as much attention and appreciation as those before and after. Many of their customers are long term who have come to them time and time again.

“The Tommy Guing name is what gets us our work and we are very conscious of the need to protect that at all times. It would be very easy for us to just employ young labourers but we prefer to be hands on ourselves and by being out there on the ground we can guarantee the name and the work. We’re happy to continue going as we are into the future because that way we can stand over our work.”

Alan concluded with a bit of advice for any farmers currently contemplating any building work on their farm: “Even though the milk price is bad, now is a good time price wise because building costs and the price of materials are very competitive at the moment.”

Tommy Guing Construction Ltd
Co. Kildare

Tommy Guing 087 258 4623
Tom Guing 087 239 2564
Alan Guing 087 281 7222
Email: [email protected]
Website: www.tgconstruction.ie
Facebook: tgfarmconstruction

Taken from Irish Tractor & Agri magazine, December 2015, Vol 3 No 11